This vegan ice cream is so stinkin’ healthy and delicious! We are very picky and like to think of ourselves as connoisseurs of ice cream. We can now say, “This non-dairy ice cream is one of our favorites.” It is extremely creamy, tastefully delightful, and pleasing to the palate. You absolutely, positively, have to pull out your ice cream maker and get busy with this chickpea recipe really soon.
With the recent trend of aquafaba recipes we decided to give chickpea ice cream a try. We generally like to stick to our wheelhouse of salads, hummus, main dishes and such, but the ice cream idea really spoke to us and we thought why not? After all we love our vegan pistachio ice cream! We love that unlike aquafaba this recipe uses the whole bean and not just the cooking liquid. Chickpeas are to great not to use the whole bean!
Dried chickpeas are said to bring a powerhouse of protein and, quite honestly, they taste so much better than canned garbanzo beans. Our chickpea recipe for ice cream is free of gluten, oil, dairy and sugar, as well as vegan! This means our chickpea recipe for ice cream can be enjoyed by almost everyone. We loved pairing it with a waffle cone it brought out some caramel undertones we didn’t even know this ice cream had!
Non-Dairy Ice Cream Recipe
|Prep Time||90 Minutes|
|Total Time||2 Hours|
Almond Ice Cream Ingredients
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 3 dates
- 2 (1.75 oz.) packets of Stevia in the Raw
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. shredded coconut
How to Make Vegan Almond Ice Cream
- Soak Garbanzo Beans in cool water overnight.
- Soak 3 dates overnight in a large cup of water in the refrigerator.
- Rinse beans & discard water. Place 6 cups of water in a large pot, bring to a boil and add the chickpeas, reduce heat to a slow boil for 1 hour, making sure they are always covered with water.
- Rinse beans under cold water until cool.
- Spread on a baking sheet and remove skins (makes for creamier ice cream).
- Process the re-hydrated dates in a blender with a little of the soaking liquid until they are of a good consistency.
- Add the vanilla and almond milk to blender and puree.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until creamy (you can add a little more vanilla almond milk if necessary).
- Chill in the refrigerator for about 3 hours and then transfer to your ice cream maker. This will speed up the process.