How to make red lentil soup
Five reasons to try this red lentil soup:
- Lentil soup can be a great appetizer or meal depending on what you serve with it. Serve this lentil soup with bread and salad or your favorite sandwich for a delicious and well rounded meal. Try our Easy Vegan Whole Wheat Bread or Whole Wheat Bread.
- Lentil nutrition! Red lentils are a good source of iron and magnesium and serve as a good source of vitamins, especially folate.
- This lentil soup has an amazing hearty texture that’s lightly creamy (yet there is no cream) making it a great vegan recipe option.
- It's a quick and easy recipe for a midweek dinner/lunch option. It only takes around 30 mins to make (and that includes the red lentils cooking time).
- Saves great! Keep in the freezer and enjoy another meal.
How to cook lentils
Our Idaho grown Clear Creek Red Lentils have a mellow, sweet flavor and they puree beautifully into a creamy blend. Cooking red lentils is so easy and takes less than half an hour, so you can use them to make soups, red lentil dal, curried red lentils and so much more.
- 1 Cup Dry Red Lentils
- 3 Cups Water
Rinse the lentils, add 3 cups of water to a pot, bring water to a rolling boil, add lentils, then simmer for 15-20 minutes or to desired tenderness. Drain well.
Do red lentils need to be soaked?
Lentils don’t need to soak for soup or whenever you use. It's easy for lentils to become the star of any kitchen because they don’t need to soak before cooking, so you don’t have to plan ahead. Most varieties of lentils cook in under 30 minutes. Lentils come in several varieties including red, golden, brown, green, and black. Red and golden lentils lose their shape cooked and are very easy to puree. While brown, green, and black lentils hold their shape when cooked adding more texture to recipes.
Red Lentil Soup with Lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 carrots chopped
2 cups Clear Creek Red Lentils
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp black pepper
6 cups vegetable stock
½ tsp chili powder or cayenne (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onion until golden, add tomato paste and cook for one minute.
- Stir in carrots and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add, salt pepper, cumin, black pepper, and if you would like chili powder or cayenne pepper. Let cook for one minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and red lentils. Bring to a simmer.
- Once the broth is simmering, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and let cool for a few minutes, then puree in a blender or with an immersion blender until creamy and smooth.
- Serve warm with a squeeze of lemon and red pepper sauce.
*If you would like a hearty version of this soup you can add 1 large chopped potato in with the carrots.
**If you’re cooking on an electric element rather than gas – stir frequently so it doesn’t burn at the bottom of the pot.
Find some of our other favorite lentils recipes:
- Easy Vegan Enchiladas The enchiladas are fantastic but the cashew sauce the reason to make this dish.
- Delicious Lentil Tacos Herbs and spices sautéed with nutty brown lentils to make the perfect taco for taco night.
- Veggie Lentil Burgers A veggie burger you can actually grill!
- Sprouted Lentil and Cabbage Salad Wonderful sprouted salad with a hint of Asian flair.
- Pumpkin Lentil Soup Hearty pumpkin and lentil soup with hints of cinnamon, cumin, and ginger.
If you try this recipe or a variation, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @PalouseBrand on Instagram.