Soul warming and flavorful is how we feel about our healthy pumpkin soup recipe. Hooray for easy soups! This is the type of recipe that saves the day. Very few ingredients, fast, and really delicious. We love serving up our lentil pumpkin soup as the main meal or as an appetizer – super yummy, and it sets the tone for any meal!
If you are having chilly fall evenings, there is nothing better than starting your dinner with a comforting soup like this Pumpkin Lentil Soup. Now that’s what we are talk ‘in about!
This is truly a budget-friendly comfort food! You can’t overlook this pumpkin soup recipe – it is special. The season is coming quickly when we all love to sit down to those healthy, creamy, warming, soulful flavors and foods that just speak to us and fill us at the same time!
Our lentil pumpkin soup is truly fabulous, velvety and super easy. Toppings are always fun and we are particularly fond of the roasted pumpkin seeds that add even more flavor to our lentil pumpkin soup recipe.
Just for some ideas, it is fun to use the meat of pumpkins from your pumpkin patch too. You don’t always need to have a can of pumpkin puree handy. You can just sauté’ up some chopped fresh pumpkin and add some sautéed potatoes for this super delectable lentil pumpkin soup if you want it to be little more hearty?
And, if you want to change up our lentil pumpkin soup recipe a bit, don’t be afraid to make it with sweet potatoes – that is fab too!
Healthy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
|Prep Time||30 Minutes|
|Total Time||30 Minutes|
Pumpkin Lentil Soup Ingredients
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ½ cups organic vegetable broth, divided
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 15 oz. canned pumpkin
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. plain low-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup unsalted pumpkinseed kernels, toasted
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 5 tbsp. roasted pumpkin seeds
How to Make Pumpkin Lentil Soup
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic, sauté’ approximately 4 minutes.
- Stir in 3 cups of the vegetable broth, lentils, cumin, salt cinnamon and ground red pepper and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Place the mixture in a Vitamix or a blender.
- Remove the centerpiece of the lid to allow steam to escape, secure lid on blender and cover the opening with a dishcloth or towel that will let steam escape.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth and water. Blend until mixture is smooth.
- Return the mixture to the pan over low heat, add the pumpkin and cook for no more than 3 minutes, or until just heated through, stir well.
- Stir in the ginger and lemon juice.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
- Top each serving with approximately 2 tsp. of yogurt, 1 tbsp. of roasted pumpkin seeds and 1 tbsp. of freshly chopped cilantro.