Our Scrumptious Lentil Taco recipe brings a new dimension to taco making when you substitute this little legume for meat. It becomes your lentil taco meat and now you have veggie tacos! Lentils are extremely versatile and you can hardly tell the difference when using them for your lentil taco meat.
Who wants a free ticket towards some health freedom? Of course, we all do, and we have a little lentil packed so full of health benefits we cannot let another day pass without sharing. According to some publications, lentils could help with lowering cholesterol, improve heart health, promote healthier digestion, and assist in stabilizing blood sugar. If this is your first introduction to the “hearty” little lentil, then welcome aboard!
We recognize there are different veggie tacos out there to choose from, so let’s be upfront about lentils. Brown lentils, when compared to other legumes like garbanzo beans, have a hearty flavor and they more closely resemble ground meat making them perfect for veggie tacos. When you are planning to make veggie tacos, and just like any other recipe you make, the quality of the product is extremely important. We completely agree; in fact, we have been growing and eating our own lentils for generations now. These veggie tacos have passed the test with little mouths and happy faces.
Lentil taco meat is very easy to make. In fact, you are going to totally prepare and season them in almost the same fashion as you would hamburger and there is virtually no prep to do. There are other ways to use our lentil taco meat recipe and one way is to prepare this recipe and serve as an appetizer. We use the large tortilla chips and thinly layer them up with the lentil taco meat, lettuce, cheddar, and tomato with a “dot” of sour cream. We call this our “one bite delight.” If you like this lentil taco recipe you should also check out our recipe for lentil taco dip.
While you are enjoying these great lentil tacos let us know what you think by leaving a comment below or posting a picture on Instagram using #palousebrand. We can't wait to hear from you and see what you made!
Lentil Tacos Recipe
|Prep Time||45 Min|
|Total Time||45 Min|
|Number of Servings||12|
Lentil Taco Ingredients
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. coriander
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup medium salsa (purchase salsa with good consistency)
How to Make Lentil Tacos
- In large skillet, saute onion and garlic oil until onion is tender.
- Add lentils, chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, and coriander, stir and cook for approximately one minute.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30-35 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Uncover and cook for approximately 8 minutes, slightly mash lentils, and stir in salsa.
- Place lentil taco meat in taco shells and top with shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar, fresh chopped tomato, and sour cream.