Sweet and Sour Garbanzo Beans
Recipe posted by Palouse Brand on September 29, 2021
This recipe for garbanzo beans definitely stands up for the pleasing sweet and savory taste that so many of us like, and you have also created an undeniable Asian flavored meal with huge health benefits.
Garbanzo Beans which are also known as chickpeas are in the family of “Pulse Crops” and we continue to read articles about the healthy domino effect you can receive when adding pulses to your diet. Granted we have been growing and eating them for years but, more than ever, science is really beginning to speak out in great favor of these little “superfoods”. These little beans are full of nutrients and are super affordable too! They are a kitchen staple to be reckoned with – in a very good way.
Search no more for sweet and sour garbanzo beans because we are certain you will fall head over heels for our Sweet and Sour Garbanzo Bean recipe which we serve over rice.
Cooking with Garbanzo Bean Tip: By preparing the garbanzo beans ahead of time as suggested, your entire meal could be ready to serve by the time your long grain rice is finished cooking. And that’s a weeknight dinner made easy!
- ¾ Cup dried garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tsp. soy sauce (we use Bragg Liquid Aminos for gluten-free)
- 3 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ large red bell pepper, thin sliced
- ½ large green bell pepper, thin sliced
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 10 chunks of pineapple
- 2 tbsp. water (room temperature)
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- Soak ¾ cup garbanzo beans in cool water overnight
- Rinse beans & discard water, place beans in pot and cover with 3 cups of water. Cover pot and boil for 1 hour.
- Drain beans in a colander and rinse under cool water for 2 minutes, (we use our spray nozzle and rinse close enough for most of the skins to fall away from the bean)
- Place beans on a flat surface such as a sheet pan and gently pull the remainder of the skins off.
- Set aside garbanzo beans.
- Mix honey, vinegars, ketchup, soy sauce and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a wok and bring temperature to medium high heat.
- Add garlic and saute until translucent.
- Stir in peppers and cook for two minutes.
- Add broccoli and cook for one more minute.
- Add garbanzo beans, sweet and sour sauce and approximately 10 chunks of fresh or drained pineapple.
- Dash of salt and pepper to taste
- Reduce wok heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 more minutes. Be careful to stick to these cooking times and not overcook vegetables.
- Mix remaining water and cornstarch together and add to wok, cook until sauce thickens.
We suggest you serve our Sweet and Sour Garbanzo Beans over your favorite cooked rice.
Share this recipe