While highly nutritious, green split peas are not commonly used for much other than split pea soup. While we love split pea soup and offer our own famous Split Pea Soup recipe, we want to show you another way to utilize this nutritious pulse. We have used our split peas to make you a homemade ice cream recipe that is dairy free and vegan. You won’t notice that this is a vegan ice cream!
Green split peas are highly nutritious, edible fruits of pulse crops. They are high in protein and fiber, and low in fat. A close relative to the lentil, a 100 gram portion of these peas contain 26 grams of fiber, 25 grams of protein, and only 1 gram of fat. When cooked, green split peas have a mildly sweet, earthy flavor and a beautiful green color.
About our split peas: We grow the Aragorn Variety peas which we believe are the king of all split peas. These peas provide the taste and aroma of the split pea soup you ate around your grandmother’s table. Our green split peas are a beautiful dark green and uniform in size. Our cleaning process polishes the dry split peas with steam to create the beautiful shine you see on the outer coat of the pea when you open our bags.
Technically, ice cream is made with milk or cream and has a minimum butterfat percentage. Since this is a dairy free ice cream, it most resembles a sorbet by ingredient list, however the texture and flavor is more comparable to ice cream.
This “ice cream” is as creamy and smooth as the milk based versions but with much less fat. In our recipe, we first grind our peas into flour before gently cooking with sugar and water over low heat to create a base for our ice cream. Grinding the peas into flour before cooking creates a completely smooth base for your ice cream that cooks in minutes.
The green split peas have a beautiful flavor when prepared this way, so we do nothing to mask their flavor. We simply add a pinch of sea salt, vanilla, chopped, roasted and salted pistachios, and bittersweet chocolate.
Get creative with more flavors! This dairy free ice cream recipe can be altered in several ways. The green color of the peas would pair perfectly for a mint chip version. Add mint extract or steep mint leaves in your sugar water before adding the ground peas. You can also add 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder when you add the ground peas for a chocolate vegan ice cream. Get creative and let us know about your favorites!
Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream Recipe
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Total Time||2 Hours 30 Minutes|
Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream Ingredients
- ¼ cup dried green split peas
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces roasted and salted pistachios, chopped
- 3 ounces mini bittersweet (vegan) chocolate chips, or chopped chocolate
How to Make Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
- Grind the green split peas on a medium or fine grind setting in a grain mill.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil. Add the pea flour and reduce heat to medium low. Whisk the mixture constantly until thickened.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in sea salt, vanilla, and chopped roasted and salted pistachios.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to your manufacturer's
- Once frozen, fold in mini bittersweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate of choice.
- Enjoy your vegan, dairy free ice cream!
Don't Have A Mill? Cook the peas whole with the sugar and water and process in a blender until smooth. Check to see if you have 3 ½ cups of puree. If not, add more water to compensate. Your ice cream will be very similar to the original recipe but have a slightly grainier texture that is easily hidden by the chopped pistachio.