Whole Wheat Herb Artisan Bread
Recipe posted by Palouse Brand on July 20, 2017
This just seems like the perfect time to break out our no-knead best artisan bread recipe made with our fresh milled flour! You know what they say, “timing is everything,” so here we go with a terrific pre-any kind of function, crowd gathering, add a nice bodied glass of wine best bread recipe!
Pardon us for bragging a little and enticing you to fresh mill our Hard Red Winter Wheat into flour for this artisan bread recipe. Our artisan bread employs a distinctively rich and naturally sweet flavor that is truly hard to beat. You will find the texture of our artisan bread to be dense, but not heavy and, just right for dipping in your favorite olive oil or a balsamic combination.
Our artisan bread tastes like it just excited Grandma’s oven 4 decades ago. You will not be disappointed, this artisan bread recipe is tried and true.
No-Knead Artisan Bread Recipe
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 2/3 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh sage, finely chopped
- Combine the flour, yeast, and salt in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the water and herbs, if using, and mix well. The dough will be very sticky and shaggy-looking. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 18 hours.
- Generously flour a work surface. The dough will have risen and will be covered in bubbles. Transfer the dough to the work surface and dust it with flour. Fold the dough in half, and then form the dough into a ball by stretching and tucking the edges of the dough underneath the ball.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). When oven reached temperature place a lidded Dutch oven or deep heavy duty casserole dish (with lid) into the oven to preheat for approximately 30 minutes.
- Do NOT remove the Dutch oven kettle from the oven, just remove the lid and gently slip the dough into the ungreased baking vessel, seam side up. Cover and bake per the instructions below. (That way you don't lose the heat you just spent half an hour to achieve to heat the pan. There's no need to shake the dough once it's in the pan, it'll spread by itself while baking.)
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake until the crust is golden brown, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the loaf from the baking dish and let it cool on a rack before slicing.
Share this recipe