Garbanzo Bean Nugget Casserole
Recipe posted by Palouse Brand on September 29, 2021
Did the recipe title catch you a little off-guard – are you wondering what a Garbanzo Bean Nugget Casserole is? Great, we have now caught your eye and are going to introduce you to a very fun and healthy casserole recipe made with our garbanzo beans. And yes, it is fun to make the tots with garbanzo beans! In fact, we have added just the Baked Tot recipe for you as well.
Our Garbanzo Tot Bake is a replacement for traditional tater tots which, by the way, are widely recognized by their crispness and cylindrical shape and, originated in the United States of America. We collectively said, “no more tater tot casserole for us”. We are going to make our own garbanzo bean tots.
We would like to think that tater tot casseroles are slightly outdated now and our since we raise super Garbanzo beans that pack way more health punch than potatoes, and we decided to have some fun and actually make our own casserole recipe. We know you are going to love it too!
Or just make the Baked Tots. There are great for dipping appetizers and snacks!
How to Make Garbanzo Bean Tater Tots
- ¾ cup garbanzo beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 lg. egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/3 onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, we use shredded and then chop into smaller bits
- Coconut spray
- Soak garbanzo beans, aka chickpeas, overnight in approximately 3 cups of water. Drain and rinse. Bring 3 cups water to boil and add chickpeas, reduce heat to a slow rolling boil for approximately 1 hour, drain, cool, and place in food processor.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Add egg, garlic, crumbs, onion, salt, pepper and ½ cup shredded and chopped cheese into food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Lay a long sheet of wax or parchment paper on counter and drop mixture from food processor on the sheet. Spread mixture out, as in a sausage (long) fashion. Wrap paper around mixture to make a long slender consistent roll.
- Slice the roll into pieces that can be formed into a tater tot size. Using your hand form the garbanzo bean tots. Place tots on a lightly sprayed baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes on each side until they are golden and crispy.
How to Make Garbanzo Bean Tot Casserole
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef (organic)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10.75) can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Thyme (optional)
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°.
- Using a large skillet, brown meat, onions and celery. Add in thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper until flavors blend and mixture is appropriately cooked. Drain excess fat.
- Spread meat mixture evenly over the bottom of a 2 quart casserole baking dish. Arranged baked tots evenly over meat mixture.
- In a small bowl stir the soup and milk together until mixture is smooth. Pour over the garbanzo bean tots and meat mixture. Spread cheese evenly over top of the casserole mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly brown. Top with a little Thyme if you like.
Share this recipe