If you have not been introduced to wheat berries before, may we just say that wheat berries are quick to prepare, inexpensive, extremely appetizing, and very nutritious. What is a wheat berry? It is a kernel of wheat that offers, bran, germ, and endosperm, lots of fiber, protein, and B Vitamins.
What are wheat berries? Wheat berries are unaltered whole kernels of wheat. Did you also know that wheat berries, if stored properly, will be good for up to about 30 years? If you plan to store your wheat berries that long we recommend getting a food storage bucket or mylar bags. If you think you will have your wheat berries for about a year or so storing them in their original packaging is just fine. There is so much more to share about wheat berries but for right now, we are going to get going with how to prepare them for our Spring Wheat Berry Salad.
Begin by prepping your hard red wheat berries a good day in advance for this wheat berry salad recipe. That is one sure way of being able to complete this particular wheat berry salad and serve it up in about 15 minutes time. Who doesn’t like a quick meal after a long day? And yes, we said “meal” because this wheat berry salad is all you will need for dinner. Well, a good glass of Sauvignon Blanc goes quite well with it too. Just sayin!
We think you will fall in love with our wheat berry salad, just like we did. This wheat berry salad recipe will send your taste buds soaring, from the nutty flavor of tender, whole wheat berries, right to the fresh vegetables with just the right amount of crunch. When served up warm, ” yum” is all we can say. Bet you can’t stop with just one serving of our truly delicious wheat berry salad.
How to Cook Hard Wheat Berries Tip: You can prepare the wheat berries ahead of time, store them in the refrigerator for one up to one week.
|Prep Time||45 Min|
|Total Time||45 Min|
|Number of Servings||2-3|
Spring Wheat Berry Salad Recipe Ingredients
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped, place in small bowl
- 3 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup prepared wheat berries
- 1 bunch asparagus, washed and cut on the bias into 1 inches pieces
- 1 cup of walnut halves
- 8-9 radishes, cut ends off, slice thinly, then stack them and cut into slivers
- 3-4 dried dates
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1/3 cup olive oil (we use extra-virgin)
- black pepper to taste, fresh ground
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
Wheat Berry Salad Recipe Instructions
- Place onion in a small bowl and add vinegar, set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tsp. salt. Add prepared wheat berries and asparagus and cook for (1) one minute – (do not cook any longer than one minute so asparagus remains tender-crisp).
- Immediately drain wheat berries and asparagus in a colander. Transfer to a serving bowl and add the kosher salt, olive oil, fresh ground black pepper, and Red Pepper Flakes, the finely chopped red onions and vinegar, chopped walnuts, radishes, and dates.
- Mix together, taste, and serve. Depending on your preferences you may want to add more vinegar or red pepper flakes.
How to prepare Wheat Berries
Yields 2 ¼ Cup Cook Wheat Berries.
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup hard red wheat berries
- 1 tsp. salt
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Reduce temperature, and allow the berries to simmer for about ½ hour.
- Drain Completely.