This vegan garbanzo bean recipe boasts the satisfaction of Italian flavoring and is a quick garbanzo bean soup recipe to prepare. What else could you ask for? This is also one of the few garbanzo bean soup recipes using dried beans. Dried beans are so cost effective. Our chickpeas double in size - so no more buying canned and paying for water.
We are so in love with this simple soup because it is a flavorful blend of ingredients and is super easy to make. The list of ingredients is short and the steps are easy enough for beginners to have this ready to serve in no time at all. You just have to prepare the garbanzo beans ahead or start the soup in the morning and use the slow cooker.
Garbanzo beans are filling. satisfying and nothing warms the soul like a nice soup. This soup is loaded with veggies and perfect for the colder weather that is headed this way. Served with a nice bread or your favorite sandwich we think this will be repeat recipe all through the cold season.
Gluten Free + Vegan Italian Garbanzo Bean Soup
|Prep Time||7 Min|
|Total Time||30 Min|
|Number of Servings||25|
- ¾ cup garbanzo beans (prepared ahead, see below)
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, medium sliced
- 3 celery stalks, medium sliced
- 1 tsp. fennel seed
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can fire roasted organic diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 18-20 grape tomatoes, sliced in half, lengthwise
- 2 hand full of fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano (or dried)
- ½ tsp. fresh thyme (or dried)
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped (or dried)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak Garbanzo Beans in cool water overnight.
- Rinse beans & discard water. Place 2 cups of water in a large pot, bring to a boil and add the chickpeas, reduce heat to a slow boil for 45 min, making sure they are always covered with water.
- Rinse beans under cold water until cool.
- Spread on a baking sheet and remove skins.
- Heat olive oil in large pot and sauté onion for approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, celery and fennel seed. Cook for approximately 4 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and vegetable broth and, gently boil for approximately 15 minutes. Add grape tomatoes and spinach. Continue cooking for approximately 2 minutes.
- Season with oregano, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper, stir well, remove from heat, place lid on the pot, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.