We are telling you, they won’t know!! This extra delicious stuffed shell recipe has something extremely healthy and special stuffed inside; and yes, they really won’t know. Serving it to your family or guests will bring a slow smile to your face when they ask you what’s inside this stuffed shell recipe.
As we shuffled through our recipes for stuffed shells we realized just how special this garbanzo recipe really is. The filling is very smooth, cheesy, and extra tasty. Our garbanzo bean stuffed shell recipe is very simple to make once you get in the groove of preparing dried garbanzo beans in advance of making the recipe. Don’t shy away, it truly is easy as well. In this recipe for stuffed shells, we prefer to use the Manicotti pasta shells which seem to be a good balance for the garbanzo bean mixture that is stuffed inside. Not too heavy and just right!
Stuffed Shell Recipe using Garbanzo Beans
|Prep Time||8 Hours 20 Minutes|
|Total Time||50 Minutes|
Stuffed Shell Ingredients
- 3/4 cup garbanzo beans
- 1 box uncooked manicotti pasta shells
- 2 egg whites
- 15 oz. Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 oz. jar of Bertolli Organic Olive Oil, Basil & Garlic Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
How to Make Chickpea Stuffed Manicotti Shells
- Soak garbanzo beans overnight and boil for 60 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Cook Manicotti pasta shells according to package directions.
- Place garbanzos and egg whites in a food processor and process until smooth. Add ricotta, parsley, parmesan, onion and garlic; continue processing until well blended.
- Spread 1 ½ cups of Bertolli sauce on the bottom of a 9x13, ungreased baking dish (or make two 8x8 dishes and freeze one for later) and set aside.
- Drain the pasta shells and stuff with the garbanzo mixture. Put remaining Bertolli sauce on top of the pasta shells, if you have some left over garbanzo mixture put a dollop on top of each shell.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the shredded Mozzarella and bake another 5-10 minutes until melted and until the sauce becomes a bit bubbly.