Get your vegetarian meatloaf “fix” right here! The vegetarian meatloaf is stiff competition for any lentil loaf recipe. We unequivocally think our lentil vegetarian meatloaf topped with our Spicy BBQ Sauce is “the bomb”! Lentils are healthy, and hearty, and can easily replace ground beef.
Lentils include beneficial nutrients, they are still low in calories and contain virtually no fat. They are a very good source of copper, phosphorus, and manganese. Additionally, they are a good source of iron, protein, vitamin B1, pantothenic acid, zinc, potassium, and vitamin B6. This recipe is a real powerhouse of lentil nutrition! Also, many people consider spinach to be a superfood! We love spinach and to learn more about its health benefits check out this article by Well-Being Secrets.
Our Lentil Loaf has great texture and excellent flavor. Top our vegetarian meatloaf recipe off with some of our amazing BBQ sauce (see recipe below).
|Prep Time||90 Min|
|Total Time||30 Min|
|Number of Servings||10|
Easy Vegetarian Meatloaf Directions
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 6 tbsp. boiling water
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 tsp. Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats, separated in half
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup spicy vegan BBQ Sauce (recipe below)
Easy Vegetarian Meatloaf Instructions
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil and add lentils, reduce heat to a slow rolling boil for approximately 30 minutes, or till tender. Drain, cool and separate volume into 1½ cups and ½ cup measures.
- Place flax seeds in a small bowl and pour boiling water over, stir to combine well, set aside and allow to cool and thicken.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic, sauté for approximately 6 minutes, until the onions are tender. Add carrots and mushrooms and continue to cook for approximately 4 minutes until carrots and mushrooms are tender. Add thyme and spinach, cooking approximately 2 minutes until spinach is wilted. Add in Braggs and ½ cup of the Spicy BBQ Sauce – combine all ingredients by stirring. Turn the heat off and add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Using a food processor, process 1½ cups of the cooked lentils and ½ cup of the oats until smooth, (if there are a few bits remaining, that’s ok), place mixture in a large bowl. Add in remaining lentils and oats. Add the flax mixture, almond flour, and cooked vegetable mixture. Stir to combine and then use your hands to finish mixing and slightly mashing together. All ingredients are now together and ready to spoon into a 9”x5” loaf pan. Make certain you press the mixture into the loaf pan firmly.
- Spread ¼ cup of BBQ sauce on top of the lentil loaf.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes and cool for approximately 10 minutes before serving.
Homemade Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 28 oz. can of diced, no-salt-added, tomatoes
- 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. Sriracha
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup whole grain mustard
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup blackstrap molasses
- 3 tsp. liquid smoke
- Heat olive oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for approximately 5 minutes until slightly tender. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir well to combine, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Our Spicy BBQ Sauce recipe makes 1 quart so you will have plenty for BBQ hamburgers, chicken and whatever else suits your fancy. BBQ sauce, solved!