We have to laugh just a little to ourselves when someone tells us they don’t like lentils and we serve them our homemade lentil sloppy joes. Reluctance to taste soon becomes just a passing moment in time that is quickly forgotten, and second or third helpings are requested!
Our vegan sloppy joes seem to be replacing meat sloppy joes at lightning speed. Here is the skinny - healthier, vegan, gluten-free, tasty, filling, satisfying and much more economical - solution. Our little brown lentils, called Pardinas are helping to popularize our recipes calling for lentils. Our brown lentils are very high quality and the real deal! Once you have tasted our homemade sloppy joes you will be making batches ahead for those crowd-pleasing moments.
As a child, you may remember your Mom’s homemade sloppy joes being served on a hamburger bun as a quick dinner. It was so easy to sauté hamburger and add the purchased spice packet, tomato paste and water (hope we got that right, it has been too many years ago now). Well, no more – we are changing up homemade sloppy joes. We are going to make a couple of suggestions for raising the bar on homemade sloppy joes and promise most of you will not miss the meat!
Lentil sloppy joes can be served as an open faced sandwich on your favorite bread – hopefully anything but a white bread. Try them rye, flaxseed, multi-grain, etc. Let us just say in our book “it is legal” to serve our homemade sloppy joes over salad greens, hmmm. . . . . These can be totally served as sliders too.
Another idea for serving our vegan sloppy joes came to us one wintry evening while entertaining company at our mountain cabin. Yes, there was snow on the ground. We love spaghetti squash that is true, but maybe it was the sledding that sparked our idea. We cut the spaghetti squash in half, removed the seeds, put some butter in it and baked it in the oven. When the squash was ready to eat, we took a fork and scraped the squash into spaghetti and topped with our homemade lentil sloppy joe mixture. OMGoodness to the max!! We are betting you do this recipe many times. But don’t wait for winter, it is simply great anytime.
Vegan Sloppy Joes
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Total Time||60 Minutes|
Lentil Wrap Ingredients
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup water
- 1 ¼ cup brown lentils
- 1 ½ tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. Bragg’s natural soy alternative
- Pinch of Sea Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Lentil Wraps
- In a large pan, add olive oil, onion, red pepper, carrot and garlic and sauté approximately 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, water, lentils and all seasonings.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are tender, approximately 45 minutes.
- Uncover and cook longer if more liquid needs to be absorbed, stirring several times during cooking.