We are hiding something very special in our deliciously creamy healthy popsicles and, you won’t believe what it is. Green Split Peas! We have a bunch of wonderful grandchildren in our family and we are way past making popsicles with jello! So we stepped out and figured out a way to make Healthy frozen popsicles with something we grow on our farm. Homemade healthy popsicles are a super treat and can be so much more than just something sweet to cool off with on hot days! In addition to having something to cool off with we discovered a terrific way to hide just a little bit of very powerful protein in our healthy popsicle recipe.
These popsicles are creamy and bursting with flavors of mint and chocolate. If you are a chocolate mint ice cream lover, these are certain to satisfy. The best part of this healthy popsicle recipe is – it is kid tested!
Once you have finished making the mixture, transfer the mixture to a resealable plastic food storage bag and cut off ½” from a bottom corner of the bag. Squeeze the mixture into the wells of ice cube trays or small muffin pans. Insert a wooden popsicle stick into the center of each well and freeze for at least one hour until firm depending on your freezer. When these small pops are frozen, you can remove them from the wells and freeze in an airtight container for approximately 1 month.
Shhhh. . . . what they don’t know, they really don’t know, right? So we decided to change up a good recipe and make it more nutritious for all of us. Our secret is pea powder, a little bit of super-duper protein, and it only takes a small amount.
Don’t worry if you don’t have popsicle molds. We do have a couple other ideas for making our healthy popsicles that will freeze quicker if you are in a hurry and, the smaller molds will stretch our healthy popsicle recipe so you can serve them up to the neighborhood! Bet you can’t eat just one, we know we can't!
If you double the recipe, you can fill up some Zipzicles to (make another 8-9 serving) – look for them on Amazon.
Healthy Protein Popsicle Recipe
|Prep Time||7 Minutes|
|Total Time||10 Minutes|
- 2 cups plain or vanilla flavored silk yogurt
- 1/4 cup green split pea powder made from green split peas
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 6 medium fresh mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ tsp. peppermint extract
- ½ cup semisweet mini chocolate chip morsels
How to Make Healthy Popsicles
- Use a large Nutribullet and mill green split peas until they become powder (this recipe only calls for 2 tsp. of pea powder so we suggest only milling what you need). Change the blade to your extracting blade if you like.
- Add yogurt, honey, mint leaves, and peppermint extract and blend as if making a smoothie.
- Taste and add a little more honey of mint leaves now and blend a little more.
- Add mini morsels and slightly blend don’t over blend, we want some whole morsels in our popsicles.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze.
- Our healthy protein popsicles will stay fresh when frozen up to approximately one month.