Here it is – your al fresco breakfast coffee cake recipe. Sweet, light, buttery and ready for all your holiday guests, special gatherings, or whenever you have a hankering. Our easy recipe for coffee cake will have you thinking about eating it the moment you step out of bed in the morning. The Greek yogurt definitely makes a good contribution to the texture we think you will notice.
We have eaten coffee cake throughout our lives but we have to say, baking with freshly milled flour really does “take the cake” to a higher level of taste, texture, and satisfaction.
We have been known to get a Starbucks coffee and a slice of their coffee cake “to go,” and it tastes good when you’re is in a huge hurry and need to grab something quickly. However, it does not compare to the taste and texture of our easy recipe where the flour is unmodified, pure and whole.
This coffee cake recipe is basic, leaving you to your own imagination ingredients such as chopped nuts, etc. The bonus with our easy recipe is you probably have most, if not all the ingredients already in your kitchen, so last minute cravings can easily be taken care of. We think creativity is the spice of life, so why not add a little flavor to your coffee cake, that is, if you think it needs it.
Our easy recipe seems to meet certain innate desires of our humanness, you know, a comfort food that has been around for ages. As far as comfort goes, a nice slice of coffee cake and a good cup of coffee could cure those slow start morning blues. Happy baking!
Easy Recipe for Coffee Cake
|Prep Time||12 Minutes|
|Total Time||40 Minutes|
Coffee Cake Ingredients
- ½ cup butter or vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar, or sugar substitute
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups (16 oz.) fresh milled flour from hard white wheat berries
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup vanilla flavored Greek yogurt
- ½ cup organic coconut sugar, unrefined
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
How to make Coffee Cake Recipe
- In large bowl cream shortening, sugar, and eggs; add vanilla and mix in.
- In a medium size bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Slowing add the flour mixture into the cream mix, alternating the addition of the yogurt. Mix Well.
- To make topping combine all ingredients together.
- Place ½ of mixture in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle on ½ of the topping mixture. Using a spoon add the remaining half of the coffee cake batter mixture, dropping by the spoonful on top. Sprinkle with remainder of the topping mixture.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cook on racks for approximately 15 minutes and serve.