You are going to Fall in love with our wheat berry and butternut squash salad. The warm inviting flavors are more than just a temptation, guaranteed! Super delicious hard red winter wheat berries combined with sweet butternut squash, cranberries, and a wonderful orange vinaigrette are more than just a temptation. There are so many salads to be made, just like this one that our family looks forward to enjoying year ‘round.
This fall salad recipe really is the combination of great texture and warm deliciousness. With a little planning ahead, you can grab some butternut squash and freeze enough for the entire year.
If you are looking to increase fiber in your diet and would like a little assistance with weight loss, start by incorporating our wheat berries in your diet by making great salads such as this fall salad recipe. Our hard red wheat berries have a sweet and nutty flavor that makes them a favorite choice for salads as well as many other dishes with our customers.
Here are a couple of other things you may really like about our hard red winter wheat berries. They are Non-GMO Project Verified, Kosher Parve Certified, and Food Alliance Sustainably Grown. Our foods are different because we plant, harvest, clean and package at our own facilities in Washington State and, you can track your food and the details of your food back to the field!
Even though we might call this a “Fall” salad recipe, there isn’t really a reason to not make it any time of year. If you think about it, this fall salad has no boundaries and can be your main dish for lunch or dinner. Oh, so delicious and tasty! We paired this delicious winter wheat berry salad with some Sauvignon Blanc . . . nice pairing! Bon Appetite!
Autumn Wheat Berry Salad Recipe
|Prep Time||10 Min|
|Total Time||1 Hr.|
|Number of Servings||5|
Autumn Wheat Berry Salad Ingredients
- 1 ½ cup hard red winter wheat berries
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups butternut squash, 1” cubes
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Zest of one large orange
- 3 tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tbsp. 100% pure maple syrup
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup almonds, sliced (optional)
How to make an Autumn Wheat Berry Salad
- Bring water to a boil and add wheat berries. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until soft, about 45-50 mins. and drain.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Toss the squash with 1 tbsp. olive oil, place on a baking sheet and roast for approximately 20-30 min. Cool on paper towel to soak up any extra olive oil.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette. Mix orange zest, orange juice, 1 tbsp. olive oil and syrup together.
- In large bowl combine wheat berries, roasted squash, vinaigrette, parsley and cranberries. Cool down in refrigerator – this may add a little to the total time.
- To serve, top with sliced almonds (optional).