Which leads us to the most commonly asked question about cream of wheat. Is cream of wheat healthy? Well that depends on your definition of healthy, but it is an amazing source of whole grain nutrition. Our recipe isn’t enriched like the boxed can so the cream of wheat nutrition varies from the label on the box. However you will still find that half cup of wheat berries contains 20% of your daily iron*. Also the wheat berries are sugar and sodium free.
But what is cream of wheat? If you make it your self it is wheat berries and milk, which differs greatly from the ingredient list you will see on an instant cream of wheat box. The the fact that we also use Non-GMO, grown in the USA wheat berries that you can trace to the very field they grew in, also help you know where your food is coming from. If you want to decrease the amount of processed foods in your day this breakfast recipe is the right choice.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Authentic Cream of Wheat Recipe
|Prep Time||30 Min|
|Total Time||45 Min|
|Number of Servings||12|
Cream of Wheat Ingredients
- 7 Cups Cold Water
- 2 Cups Palouse Brand Hard White Wheat Berries
- 2 Cup Milk (your choice, almond, soy, skim or whole)
- Brown Sugar and Fruit for Topping, optional
- Prep your wheat berries ahead of time. To cook your wheat berries pour 7 cups of water into a medium sauce pan and bring to boil. Add 2 cups Hard White Wheat Berries and let simmer until they are done. About 30 minutes and they should be just past al dente. Once your wheat berries are cooked, drain and store in fridge for the week. They may be stored in either in a zip lock bag or container of your choice.
- To make cream of wheat. Simmer 1 cup precooked wheat berries in 2 cups milk (of your choice).
- Simmer until just before boiling.
- Pour milk and wheat berries into blender.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds, or until creamy, adding more milk as needed to create desired texture.
- Make 3 cups of prepared cream of wheat. Pour into bowls and serve with brown sugar and fruit. Enjoy!