Our little brown lentil says, “get your Sombrero and Sriracha ready”, because we are about to have a southwest salad party! The flavors of bold ingredients in this lentil recipe blend very well and simply “bring it”!
Our Southwest Lentil Salad is delightfully tasty, full of texture, color, and just plain fun. The ingredients are extremely healthy, and to be honest, this lentil recipe can be served for lunch or dinner any day of the week. We even snuck some sweet potato in our southwest salad and hope you like that too.
This southwest salad is a great example of how these little lentils can be so versatile and how a little imagination can go a long way. Brown lentils have a mild earthy flavor and often adapt very well to whatever flavor profile you choose to pair them with. They may not be as naturally sweet as red lentils but we love them in our carrot cake recipe. That is right with a little imagination there isn’t much the brown lentil can’t do. Of course we are in love with lentils for a number or reasons, especially for the nutrition they have to offer. One cup of lentils has 59 grams of fiber and 50 grams of protein! That will leave you full all day!
Sitting here in our little hideaway by the river and amongst the pines for the weekend we are experiencing slightly warm and sunny days, and very cool nights. This lentil recipe has filled us up, warmed our tummies, provided excellent nutrition, and given us a bunch of energy for walking, hiking, biking and enjoying the outdoors. What could be better? This southwest salad is a complete meal all by itself and we just love it! Showing it off at our next potluck will be so much fun!
Since 2016 is the “International Years of Pulses” we will continue to share some of our best recipes in the next few weeks using brown lentils. We hope you will enjoy this terrific lentil recipe. Even better you can make our basic southwest salad dressing that tops this lentil recipe off and use it for other salads! If you are looking to add some heat to this salad top it off with sriracha! Or if you are like our family, the ranch dressing automatically comes out to top off most salads . . . so feel free!
Southwest Lentil Salad Recipe
|Prep Time||30 Min|
|Total Time||1 Hr. 30 Min|
|Number of Servings||4-6|
Lentil Salad Ingredients
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup dry lentils
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ½ cup salsa
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped small
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce, chopped 1” pieces
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped small
- ¾ cup black beans
- ½ cup corn, fresh or canned
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tomato diced1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
How to Make Southwest Lentil Salad
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Bake sweet potato for 45 minutes or until done.
- Once the potato has cooled, dice into bite size pieces.
- Heat water to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add lentils and cook until tender, approximately 20 minutes, drain.
- In a large bowl, mix in lentils. sweet potato, red onion, salsa, corn, black beans, red pepper, tomato and cilantro.
- In a separate bowl whisk the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder and salt whisk until combined.
- Stir dressing into salad mix, until well combined.
- Arrange chopped lettuce on a plate and top with salad.
- Garnish with sliced avocado and olives.