If you think this lentil salad recipe sounds a little bit crazy, it is in a very good way so please read on! Crazy delicious is what we really mean! Just about the time we all think we pretty much know exactly how a recipe is going to taste, we surely can be surprised. This salmon salad recipe is full of really good ingredients and for the most part, ingredients you most likely have in your pantry.
Since we have joined the celebration of the “International Year of Pulses” we have dug a little deeper in order to share tantalizing lentil recipes with you which has been super fun for us. We have made lentil recipes from lentil tacos to our Southwest lentil salad. So here is one tasty, and a little crazy salmon salad recipe made with our perfect little legumes.
Just let us say right up front that if you are not a fan of smoked salmon salad, go ahead and substitute cooked salmon seasoned the way you prefer. Or how about that little bit of leftover salmon from the night before? This lentil recipe only calls for 8 ounces, a great way to use the leftovers.
Our lentil salad recipe is completely made from scratch, including the vinaigrette dressing and pickled onions. A huge plus in making our salmon salad is, the vinaigrette and pickled onions can be made in advance and everything can be re-warmed. This lentil salmon salad recipe absolutely speaks for itself, and your palette is certain to dance! Don’t forget to serve it up warm.
Lentil Salad with Smoked Salmon
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced fine
- 1 medium carrot, diced fine
- 1 stalk celery, diced fine
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces of smoked (or preference) coarsely flaked
- ½ cup dill pickles, diced small
½ cup cilantro and Parsley Vinaigrette (recipe below)
pickeled onions (recipe below)
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 small diced tomatoes
- Bring water to a boil, add lentils and reduce heat to a slow boil until tender, approximately 20 minutes, drain.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic, cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add cooked lentils.
- Add smoked salmon, dill pickles, vinaigrette, salt and pepper to taste to the veggie and lentil mixture and gently stir.
- Pour ½ dressing over lentil mixture, mix well.
- Pour ½ dressing over mixed greens and mix well.
- Arrange salad greens on plates and spoon the warm lentil mixture equally on top.
- Garnish with warm pickled onions and diced tomatoes.
Cilantro & Parsley Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. finely minced shallot or mild onion
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine cilantro, parsley, shallot, vinegar and mustard in a bowl. Whisk in the olive oil, salt and pepper. You can make this dressing in advance and whisk again before serving.
How to Pickle Onions
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram crumbled, or 6 sprigs crumbled
- 1 tsp. dried thyme crumbled, or 6 sprigs crumbled
- ¼ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Soak onions in salted water to cover for 10 minutes, drain.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet, add onions and all remaining ingredients with the exception of the vinegar.
- Cook gently over medium heat until onions are tender.
- Remove skillet from heat, remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar.
Serve immediately or store in refrigerator for up to 3 days..