Pumpkin spice makes everything nice, especially when we feel the weather turning towards fall and begin to start thinking about the coming holidays. We believe we have a trophy worthy pumpkin hummus recipe that brings sheer delight in every way. This homemade hummus recipe has excellent flavor and has a light chunky and crunchy texture due to the addition of lightly roasted pumpkin seeds.
Garbanzo beans are a type of legume that offers a range of health benefits- helping to increase satiety, boosting digestion, help to keep blood sugar levels stable, increasing protection against disease, and are a potent package of protein, vitamins, and minerals too. Our homemade hummus recipe will bring some of these very important benefits to you, your family, and guests!
Pumpkin hummus is really perfect for any time but as the leaves begin to change and the day's light becomes a little bit shorter, we seem to jump into warming colors of flavor in every way.
When we are in the kitchen we think the word “sweet” is completely related to taste. Another meaning for the word “sweet” is pleasing, and this homemade hummus recipe, in our opinion, completely wraps up both of these meanings. If you are like us, we can’t wait to make several batches of this extremely delicious pumpkin hummus this fall!
Pumpkin Spice Hummus Recipe
|Prep Time||45 Min|
|Total Time||1 Hr|
|Number of Servings||6|
Pumpkin Hummus Ingredients
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup dried Chickpeas
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 3/4 tbsp. sesame seeds
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Hummus
- Place water and chickpeas in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low overnight.
- Drain beans, reserving cooking water.
- Rinse beans under cold water until cool.
- Spread on a baking sheet and remove skins - painstaking but makes the creamiest hummus!.
- Place Sesame Seeds in food processor, turn on and slowly add olive oil until seeds are moistened.
- Add garbanzo beans, canned pumpkin and spices from the mix.
- Blend until creamy and smooth, add back cooking water to achieve a creamier hummus.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Place olive oil, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl and mix together, add pumpkin seeds stirring to make sure all seeds are equally coated. Lightly spray a baking sheet with coconut oil and spread pumpkin seeds out evenly on the baking sheet. Using the coconut oil, lightly spray the tops of the pumpkin seeds.
- Bake pumpkin seeds for approximately 12 minutes, or until they are lightly roasted.
- Set aside 10-12 roasted pumpkin seeds to use as a decorative topping. Stir the remaining pumpkin seeds into the already prepared hummus and top with set aside seeds.