Well, this dahl, or dal, however you prefer to spell it, is a real thing nowadays. We invite you to try our incredible and a little unconventional Green Split Pea Dahl recipe which is certain to tickle your taste buds and satisfy your desire to eat healthy green split peas in a new and fun way. You are going to fall in love with the ingredients and seasonings in our vegan split pea dahl to be served over your favorite rice!
This completely vegan split pea dahl recipe is made with our fresh green split peas that are packed with flavor and bring healthy benefits that cannot be denied. So here is some really good news about split peas. Split peas are high in fiber, protein, dietary fiber, contain various vitamins and minerals, and they are low in fats. Split peas, as we read, can contribute to better heart health, assist in lowering the risk for diabetes and much more when regularly consumed. There are many reasons to continue developing delicious and healthy recipes using green split peas.
So it’s time to jump on the “legume train” if you have not already done so, as there is nothing to lose and everything to gain. This terrific green split pea dahl recipe is quite versatile as it can be a side dish or a main dish depending on what works best for you.
Green Split Pea Dahl Recipe
|Prep Time||20 Min|
|Total Time||120 Min|
|Number of Servings||24|
Split Pea Dahl Ingredients
- 1 cup green split pea
- 2 cups vegetable stock, low sodium
- 5 cups medium chopped bok choy
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 small can water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 2 green chilies, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Best Dahl Instructions
- Place green split peas in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
- In large (we use our 12” iron) fry pan or wok over medium, heat olive oil and add mustard seeds, slowly stirring them until they begin to sputter.
- Add onions and continue stirring until they turn translucent.
- Add the green chilies, ginger, and garlic, stirring for approximately 1 minute then add and stir in turmeric and pepper.
- Add 1 ½ Cups organic vegetable stock and prepared green split peas.
- Bring to a boil for approximately 5 minutes, cover and simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add ½ cup vegetable stock, chopped bok choy and cilantro, cover and occasionally stir until the greens just become soft, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Salt to taste and serve over your favorite rice.