Super delicious and super fun to serve too! We make our tortilla soup recipe with our little Pardina lentils. Our little lentils are complete “show stoppers” in every way! The reality of our tortilla soup is this; vegan, Gluten-free, Soy-free, Nut-free, an “out of this world” kind of recipe!
With fall and winter just around the corner, hard to believe, we are itching to fill our recipe cache’ with some new soul-warming recipes that are packed with nutrition. If your family likes to eat soup, our tortilla lentil soup recipe is a must!
Eating canned soups for us has long since been outlawed in our family for a number of reasons, and we are blessed to grow magnificent lentils on our farm for making healthy lentil soups.
Our Vegan Lentil Tortilla Soup recipe is so easy to adjust for taste and consistency. It can be thinned a little by adding more broth or tomato sauce, or it can be thickened with a little extra cream, lentils or veggies. If you like your lentil soup a little more spicy, go ahead and amp it up to your liking with maybe a little more jalapeno and cayenne pepper. . . .its all about what you like!
We do suggest you wait until the end to add the salt and pepper just to prevent any over-seasoning.
Tortilla Soup Recipe
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Total Time||45 Minutes|
Tortilla Soup Ingredients
- ¾ cup brown lentils, prepared
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- tortilla strips
How to Make Lentil Tortilla Soup
- Heat olive oil in large 12” skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add jalapeno, bell peppers, mix and continue cooking for approximately 3-4 more minutes.
- Add all spices and herbs to the mixture and stir in well.
- Add the washed and drained lentils and vegetable broth and continue cooking for approximately 12 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients with the exception of the tortilla strips, mix well and cook for 10 minutes or until desired consistency. Taste and adjust salt and heat.