We want to introduce you to one of our favorite bean dip recipes, Lentil Taco Dip. This has become an office and family game day favorite in the past year. This pulse dip is extremely easy to make – even for beginner cooks. Many of the ingredients needed might already be in your refrigerator. You will enjoy the health benefits that come by cooking with pulses, along with learning a basic recipe that is very flexible.
Our taco dip can be served hot or cold – it tastes very similar to a cheese bean dip and can also be used as the base layer for a 7 layer dip recipe. This versatile pulse dip is easy to serve with tortilla strips, pita bread, or cut veggies like carrots and peppers. It’s also a great dip for children that will give them a boost of protein. One cup of lentils contains 18 grams of protein and 16 grams of dietary fiber.
The texture can be made as creamy as you like by just adding water. Keep the dip warm in your favorite crock pot or pull it straight out of the oven.
Lentils are making a comeback – we can barely grow enough each year for our customers! The United Nations agrees too! They have named 2016 the International Year of the Pulse. Now more than ever people are being introduced to these powerful superfoods and learning how they save money while benefiting their bodies. Did you know that one cup of lentils equals one 15 ounce can of beans? Our dried lentils will not flatten your wallet either; one cup of lentils costs about $1.49 – the same amount canned will cost you around $2.56.
Cooking with Lentils Tip: DO NOT add salt to your water until after cooking lentils. The salt can toughen the outside skin layer of the lentil causing it to stay firmer or not soften at all.
If you like cooking from scratch - you won't want to use a package taco seasoning. We found our favorite homemade taco seasoning on the blog Family Fresh Meals - her recipe is below.
Taco Dip Recipe
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Total Time||40 Minutes|
Lentil Taco Dip Ingredients
- 1 Cup Dried Lentils
- 3 1/2 Cups Water, separated
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning or 2 Tablespoons Homemade (see below for homemade recipe)
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
How to Make a Taco Dip with Lentils
- Cook lentils by boiling them in a medium saucepan with 3 cups of water for 20-30 minutes until soft.
- Drain and place in food processor with taco seasoning, sour cream and cheese.
- Process until well mixed, scrape down sides.
- Add reserved water until desired texture.
- Garnish with Green onions and enjoy!
Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix together all ingredients. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
This recipe for homemade taco seasoning is courtesy of Family Fresh Meals.