We are excited to show you how to make the most amazing wheatgrass from sprouted wheat berries without leaving your kitchen . . . “because there’s a “little farmer” in all of us,” right? Growing wheatgrass is easy and fun. If you have children, why not bring out the “little farmer” in them too. This is a terrific way to get everyone interested in where their food comes from. Our wheatgrass is ready to cut and use in just 5-6 days!
What are the health benefits of Wheatgrass
First, let us tell you about the benefits of wheatgrass. Wheatgrass is grown from the wheat seed (sometimes called wheat berries ). Did you know some research shows wheatgrass has been popularized as a health food as well as a medicinal supplement? This “superfood” is packed with vitamins, minerals and much more! In addition to using cut wheatgrass for your wheatgrass smoothies as we do in our delicious smoothie recipes, you can make wheatgrass juice or wheatgrass shots (usually 2-4 ounces) to use as well.
Wheatgrass can also be used for decoration, cats and chicken fodder.
How to Sprout Wheatgrass
- 1/2 Cup wheat berries
- Sprouting jar
- 10x10 Planting Tray
- Seed starting soil mix
Wheatgrass growing Instructions:
- Rinse wheat berries and place in quart size sprouting jar. Fill the jar with water and cover with a sprouting screen. If you are making your sprouting jar, cover the opening with cheesecloth and a rubber band.
- Soak at least 6 hours or overnight. Drain off all water.
- Invert jar in a colander at an angle so berries will drain and air is allowed to circulate. After 8-12 hours of draining - rinse and drain again.
- Repeat rinsing and draining 2-3 times daily.
- When tiny sprouts begin to form in 2-3 days, completely drain.
- Place soil in tray.
- Cover top of soil with sprouted wheat berries (don’t worry about how they lay on soil, they will correct themselves). Place just enough soil on top of the sprouted berries to adequately cover. Water.
- Continue to water every other day.
- Your wheatgrass should be ready to use in about 5-6 days. Cut and use.
- It will keep growing and be ready to use about every other day.