Delicious, creamy, and healthy split pea soup! Our summer soup is delightfully refreshing when served chilled. Our delicious vegetarian creamy split pea soup is simmered with just enough fresh mint that it may change the way you may feel forever about split green pea gazpacho.
For most of us there was a day when Mom would say “eat your peas” and you would choke them down one by one because you were not allowed to leave the table until you did, right? Well, let’s just say this gazpacho recipe is fun, and the mintiness is certain to make you fall in love.
There just seems to be an age when we start craving some soulful type foods that speak to us in a different kind of way or are just looking to try something new. This gazpacho recipe is loaded with creaminess, and has a refreshing flavor you will not forget!
Split peas are thought to be low in fat and high in protein and fiber, and they have the added advantage of cooking quickly without the need for pre-soaking. That is right you can make this soup in as few as 40 minutes!
You may say, “where’s the ham, I can’t eat split pea soup without the ham.” Be brave and give it a try, this gazpacho recipe is sure to win you over. Gazpacho recipes have been gaining in popularity for quite some time now and we all need to expand our “inner foodie” in all directions. Our green split pea gazpacho, is perfect for a summer soup and salad lunch or, how about a cup of gazpacho as an appetizer? We know you have all kinds of ideas so, go ahead, have fun, and enjoy! However if you are search of our classic green split soup recipe you will find it here.
|Prep Time||10 Min|
|Total Time||40 Min|
|Number of Servings||10|
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups green split peas
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 ½ tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 mint sprigs, total stem length suggested to be at least 8”
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Sour cream
- ¼ cup Half & Half
Plant Based Gazpacho Recipe Instructions
- In medium size saucepan bring water to a boil and add split peas. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer peas until soft, approximately 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Rinse saucepan. Using the same saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Add shallots and cook until softened (not browned) for a couple of minutes.
- Add broth and mint sprigs to the shallots, increase heat and bring to a boil. Add drained split peas and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for approximately 5 minutes while flavors blend.
- Discard the mint and puree the soup in a large blender until velvety smooth. Be careful the mixture will be hot.
- Blend in the cream.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill to serve cold.
- Blend sour cream and half & half together to garnish, adding fresh mint strips if you desire.