Homemade pasta is delicious and simple to make. Although pasta is traditionally made with wheat, in this recipe, we use Garbanzo bean flour! Garbanzo flour, also known as gram flour, makes a great substitute for wheat in the gluten free pasta recipe below. This gluten free pasta is for everyone! The nutty, earthy, flavor of the gram flour adds incredible flavor and will be the highlight of your meal!
Garbanzo beans are packed with nutrition! They are a great source of plant-based protein, nutritional fiber, and rich in minerals. So, why not incorporate them into your weekly menu?
The flavor of this gluten free pasta is well worth noting. The garbanzos give these noodles a nutty and earthy flavor that is delicious by itself. However, the nuttiness pairs well with fresh herbs, olive oil, mushrooms, browned butter, or any sharp cheese. We hope to bring you some of our favorite ways to serve these noodles in the near future!
This gluten free pasta dough is a breeze to make. Simply place the ingredients in a food processor and pulse! If you do not wish to use a food processor, no problem! To mix by hand, place all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the eggs and oil. Begin to bring the dry ingredients into the center of the bowl to mix with the wet ingredients. Continue this process until you have a solid mass. If your dough seems dry, add a Tablespoon of water.
To help this gluten free pasta hold its shape, potato or tapioca starch and xantham gum has been added to this recipe. Potato and tapioca starch are common as pie thickeners and should be easy to find in any grocery store. However, if you do have trouble finding these, cornstarch may be substituted. Xantham gum is also commonly found in the gluten free section of any grocery store. If you have trouble locating xantham gum, a natural food store should carry it.
We hope you give this recipe a try and let us know how you have served this delicious pasta!
Cooking Tip for Garbanzo Beans: We ground two pounds of garbanzo beans at a time and then stored the flour in a container for use as needed.
Gluten Free Pasta Recipe
|Prep Time||10 Min|
|Total Time||45 Min|
|Number of Servings||6-8|
Chickpea Pasta Ingredients
- 300 grams milled Garbanzo Beans plus extra for rolling
- ½ cup tapioca or potato starch
- 1 package (.32 ounce) xantham gum
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs (about 6 ½ ounces)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon water
How to Make Gluten Free Pasta
- Except for the water, place all ingredients in a food processor.
- Process until the mixture starts to form a ball.
- If mixture is not fully hydrated, add 1 Tablespoon of water and pulse a few times.
- Wrap your dough with plastic wrap and set aside to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut your dough into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a rectangle using the extra Garbanzo flour to prevent sticking. Try to roll the dough as thin as possible; this should not be difficult if the dough is well rested.
- Using a pizza cutter and ruler as a guide, cut each piece of dough lengthwise into strips ½” wide.
- Create a nest with the noodles of each piece of dough.
- The nests may now be frozen or refrigerated until ready to use.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook noodles 4-7 (if frozen) minutes. Drain and toss with olive oil to prevent sticking.