When we say unbelievable, we are right on target with our “Unbelievable Wheat Berry Salad!” We offer encouragement here to make our quick and super easy wheat berry salad because there is absolutely no disappointment with the flavors or textures in our wheat berry salad.
We guarantee every single one of our Non-GMO wheat berries will burst with a complete, rich and wholesome flavor that will send you back to the kitchen for another round! One of our goals is to “win” you over to the fresh side of creativity in your kitchen by using the very best of the best when it comes to ingredients, starting with superb wheat berries.
Our Unbelievable Wheat Berry Salad boasts an excellent source of fiber, vitamin K, manganese, protein, vitamin A&C, copper, iron and much more! This wheat berry salad is wonderful by itself or can be a side dish. For those who pack a lunch, this salad is fabulous for lunch and will keep you full until dinner.
If you have not experienced cooking with wheat berries before you won’t be disappointed with our plump wheat berries and, there is no need to pre-soak them prior to cooking – that’s how great they are. Here’s another thought if you are planning your summer garden, why not grow some of the ingredients yourself – an excellent way to cook economically while using super fresh ingredients!
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Total Time||50 Minutes|
Garden Salad Ingredients
- 1 cup hard red winter wheat berries
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ½ cup tart dried cherries, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves (no stems), chopped
- 1 large carrots, shredded
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced in slivers
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
How to Make Garden Wheat Berry Salad
- Place wheat berries in a saucepan with 2 cups of water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for approximately 1 hour (it is good to check the tenderness of the wheat berries after 45 minutes of cooking – you want them to be just tender and a little chewy, not tough).
- Drain wheat berries and let them cool.
- While the wheat berries are cooking, chop and/or slice cherries, scallion, celery and parsley, shred carrots.
- In a separate bowl mix the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to make the salad dressing.
- Place the chopped walnuts or pecans, whichever you prefer, in a dry skillet on medium-high heat until they are fragrant, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- When berries are cool transfer to a bowl large enough to add all remaining ingredients.
- Mix and toss with salad dressing.