If you have not experienced a chickpea sandwich filling before you are in for a real treat! Our amazing garbanzo beans combined with the remaining ingredients provide a very versatile sandwich filling that is completely vegan and extra yummy too!
You will be surprised as to just how quickly this garbanzo bean recipe can come together for that last minute picnic or when company knocks on your door.
Did you know that you can totally prepare garbanzo beans in advance and freeze them? We are huge fans of always having prepared garbanzo beans in our freezer for either the planned or the unplanned moments in life.
There are many evenings when we clean up the dinner dishes and drop some garbanzo beans in water to soak overnight so we can boil them, cool them and freeze them the next day. This preparation literally diminishes all the prep work and lets you concentrate on garbanzo bean recipes when you are ready to. But wait, there is more. If you want to take your sandwiches to the next level you should try our recipe for homemade sandwich bread! Our Chickpea Salad Sandwich Filling is more than just for sandwiches even though this garbanzo bean recipe calls for sandwich style serving. This garbanzo bean recipe can double as hors d'oeuvres for the next party you throw or attend. Because of the excellent flavor you create with this recipe, you can enjoy it on crackers, pita chips, or your favorite “crunchy” finger food or, try it as a topping for your next green salad. This chickpea salad sandwich filling is calling your name!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Filling
|Prep Time||30 Minutes|
|Total Time||70 Minutes|
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Ingredients
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup dried garbanzo beans
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dill pickle relish
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. vegan mayonnaise (can use regular if you like)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 ½ tsp. prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. dried dill or (2 tsp. fresh dill, minced)
- 2 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups spinach or lettuce for sandwiches
How to Make a Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Soak garbanzo beans overnight, rinse and discard water.
- Place beans in pot, cover with 3 cups of water and bring to boil for one hour.
- Drain and rinse under cold water for approximately 2 minutes until cooled.
- If you want your sandwich filling to be extra creamy, we suggest gently pinching the skins off the garbanzo beans once they are cooled.
- In a large bowl mash the cooked garbanzo beans until flaky with a potato masher or a fork. Stir in remaining ingredients, with the exception of either the spinach or lettuce, until well combined.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Arrange either the spinach or lettuce leaves whichever you prefer on ½ of the sandwich bread, thin sandwich buns, or a wrap, add the sandwich filling, put the lid on it and you are ready to eat.