Chickpea Taco Salad
Recipe posted by Palouse Brand on June 20, 2017
We are bragging about our vegan taco salad recipe! Our taco salad recipe is a meatless taco salad loaded with fresh ingredients giving it an outstanding burst of flavor – and we mean to say, healthy flavor with a crunch!
We completely support using fresh ingredients that shout natural healthy flavors in our recipes. Our meatless taco salad is beautiful with color from the fresh ingredients and sports outstanding flavors! Just a side note – you may feel like you have consumed super delicious food that actually makes you feel clean inside!
Looking at our vegan taco salad recipe may make you think, it’s too much work, but we encourage you to take another look. Prepare your chickpeas and tortilla chips the evening before while you are already in the kitchen making dinner. That’s a great way to shorten the time. Time's a wasting, so get those beans on the stove and get ready to serve up your next one dish crowd pleasing meal!
Vegan Taco Salad
- ¾ cup Garbanzo Beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 Premium Blend Wheat & Corn Artisan tortilla shells or make your own tortilla chips here.
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cups packed, fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, fresh milled
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, cut into small bite chunks
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper, cut into small bite chunks
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Soak Garbanzo Beans in cool water overnight.
- Rinse beans & discard water. Place 3 cups of water in a large pot, bring to a boil and add the chickpeas, reduce heat to a slow boil for 45 minutes, making sure they are always covered with water.
- Rinse beans under cold water until cool.
- Spread on a baking sheet and remove skins and refrigerate until ready to use (up to 5 days).
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place prepared garbanzo beans in a bowl.
- Combine spices, juice and olive oil and mix together. Pour mixture over the beans and mix well.
- Place seasoned garbanzo beans in an even layer onto a large baking sheet. Roast them in the oven, stirring a couple of times. When they are completely roasted they will by dry and crispy on the outside. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the beans are roasting, cut the tortillas into slim strips, wedges, or however you wish for using in your salad and lightly brush with extra-virgin olive oil. (Once you have completed roasting of the garbanzo beans), place your tortilla strips/wedges on the same baking pan and slightly bake the strips.
- To prepare the dressing place, shallot, cilantro, garlic, red wine vinegar, lime juice, salt, black pepper and olive oil in a blender.
- Assemble salad in a large salad bowl. Top the lettuce with red cabbage, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado slices, spiced chickpeas and baked tortilla strips/wedges. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Share this recipe