Our Slow Cookin’ Split Pea Soup is rich, flavorful, and super-duper easy to make. We like to say, “Where there are quality green split peas, there is wonderfully flavored green split pea soup with ham!” This particular recipe of ours calls for ham bone or ham hocks (you can cheat and purchase cooked ham chunks if you are in a hurry). There is nothing that says you can’t turn this delicious recipe into vegan green split pea soup without ham.
There seems to be something magical about slow cooking green split peas; as they break down through the slow cooking process, an extremely rich flavor emerges. Surprising isn’t it for such a tiny little green legume?
Our green pea split pea soup is naturally thick and creamy. Did you know that these little green split peas are filled with healthy vitamins, minerals, protein and much more? They truly are special!
Many of us work outside our homes and our Slow Cookin Split Pea Soup recipe is a stress reliever. This recipe can be easily and partially prepared the evening before when things quiet down and, quickly finished up the next morning. We can honestly classify our green split pea soup as comfort food, and we all like that.
We prefer to use vegetable stock when making our green split pea soup which lends to the darkened color of our soup, but chicken stock is just as good in the recipe.
Utterly delightful, and we are certain you will enjoy our recipe just as much as we do!
Split Pea Soup with Ham Recipe
|Prep Time||15 Min|
|Total Time||5 Min|
|Number of Servings||8|
Green Split Pea Soup with Ham Ingredients
- 2 cups dried green split peas
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and medium diced
- 3 medium celery stalks, medium sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 2 ham bone or ham hocks, approximately 1 lb. (Optional)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 cups water
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs (optional)
Split Pea Soup Instructions
- Arrange dried green split peas in an even layer covering the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Next, arrange prepared carrots, celery, onion, garlic and parsley in an even layer over the peas.
- Place ham bone or ham hocks on top of the vegetables. (If you wish to prepare the night before, remove the insert from your slow cooker and place in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours.)
- Pour vegetable or chicken broth and water into the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the peas are soft and the meat is falling off the bone.
- Cook on high for approximately 5-6 hours or on low for approximately 8-10 hours.
- Remove the ham bone or ham hocks from the slow cooker, place on a cutting board and remove the meat from the bones, discard bones.
- Place the meat back in the soup, stir to combine all ingredients and season with more salt and pepper to taste.