American sandwich bread has proven to be a classic! Although it seems like there are an endless variety of sandwich loaves available at grocery stores, nothing beats a sandwich loaf made at home. The loaf only gets better when baked from our fresh milled wheat berries!
American sandwich bread has a tight, tender crumb. It is baked in loaf pans that produce a slightly domed, golden crust. There are a variety of sandwich bread recipes available today because of how versatile this bread can be! Our recipe is listed below and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Our sandwich bread recipe produces a 1 pound, 10 ounce loaf that is slightly sweetened with your choice of honey, maple syrup, or molasses. It utilizes our Hard White Wheat Berries for a mild wheat flavor and a light golden crumb. Milk and oil enrich the bread and allow for a soft, tender loaf. This bread recipe is great as your go-to whole wheat loaf!
Since we brought up how versatile this easy bread recipe is, let us touch base on how to make some of your own adaptations. Feel free to add any mix-ins your heart desires! In our own baking of this bread recipe, we have added oats, flax seeds, chopped nuts, and a seed mix all with great results. Another option is to add cooked, cracked wheat berries to this loaf for a cracked wheat sandwich bread. We recommend a half cup of mix-ins per loaf.
Milk adds protein to this sandwich bread recipe and assists in developing the golden crust that is traditional in a sandwich loaf. However, if you are avoiding milk, feel free to use water or a milk substitute of your choice. You might notice a slight difference in browning, but the sandwich loaf should otherwise remain similar to the original bread recipe.
As we said before, this easy bread recipe is made using our Hard White Wheat Berries. When baking bread, a high-protein flour is essential for a high-rise loaf. A bread made from 100% whole grain flour will always have less of a rise and be denser. This is because the proteins found in flour are only found in the endosperm. Traditional white flour purchased at grocery stores are just that; endosperm. Our flour, milled from our wheat berries, contains whole grain nutrition from the bran, germ, and endosperm therefore, the overall protein will be much less. Personally, we love the result of our whole grain loaf. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Tip for Slicing Homemade Bread: Homemade bread slices much better the day after it is baked. We recommend wrapping your bread in plastic wrap once it has cooled. Let it sit overnight before cutting into slices.
Easy Sandwich Bread
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Total Time||3 Hours 5 Minutes|
Sandwich Bread Ingredients
- 1 ⅓ cups low-fat milk
- 1 Tablespoon instant yeast
- ¼ cup honey, molasses, or maple syrup
- 1 ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 420 grams milled Hard White Wheat Berries* (3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour), sifted
*Remember when using freshly milled flour it is best to use weighted measurements rather than volume.
How to Make an Easy Sandwich Bread
Warm milk to no more than 100 degrees. This will help activate the yeast.
To the milk, add the yeast and wait 5 minutes until yeast starts to foam.
- To a stand mixer, add the yeast-milk mixture, honey, salt, vegetable oil, and flour.
- With the hook attachment, begin to mix on low until the dough forms one mass. Increase the speed to high and beat for 5 minutes to develop gluten. Alternatively, knead the dough by hand until it forms a strong, firm, smooth dough.
- Let the dough rest for 1 hour in a covered, well-oiled bowl until doubled.
- Remove dough from the bowl and press down with your hands to flatten into a rectangle. Tightly roll the dough along the long side of the rectangle, pressing down to seal as you go. Make sure the roll is tight so you don’t have holes in your finished loaf.
- Place dough into an 8 ½ x 4 ½ (standard) bread pan. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for another hour.
- Once your loaf has risen one inch above the bread pan, it is ready to be baked.
- Brush the top of the loaf with an egg beaten with one teaspoon of water.
- Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Bread is done when the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees.