Our Mexican Flavored Lentils & Rice really showcase our little brown lentils in this very versatile lentil and rice one pot meal. We are so about maximizing our efforts in the kitchen whenever possible, and this lentil and rice recipe is really like one dish “wonder”; wait until you see the possibilities that you can unlock with your creativity. There are so many ways to serve this lentil and rice recipe, it will always look and taste like something new (see serving ideas below to get you started). So, get excited about the bold and hearty flavors in this lentil and rice recipe.
Starting with our little Pardina brown lentils is one of the greatest decisions you will make when being creative with this lentil and rice recipe. They are grown to perfection in the amazingly rich soil here in the Pacific Northwest and filled with unbelievable flavor that really comes through.
This super delicious lentil and rice recipe will light up your taste buds and become one of your favorites, guaranteed.
This lentil and rice one pot recipe is so easy and fast, that you can go right to your pot of water and make it happen quickly. There is no need to use a slow cooker because you can get this meal on the table in a flash. We tried using the slow cooker and to be honest, we do not recommend using a slow cooker for this recipe.
The recipe says, “Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes until lentils are tender and all the liquid has been absorbed” so that means, you really need to be in the kitchen and keep an eye on it towards the end of the cooking time so it does not cook dry.
Lentils and Rice in a Slow Cooker
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Total Time||45 Minutes|
Lentils and Rice Ingredients
- 1 cup brown lentils
- ½ cup long grain jasmine rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock, low sodium
- 1 cup organic salsa
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. dark chili powder
- ½ cup Italian parsley, chopped and packed
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Pinch cayenne
How to Make Lentils and Rice
- Place lentils and rice in a large pot.
- Cover with water and let sit 2-3 minutes to soak; drain and return the soaked lentils and rice to the pot.
- Add measured water and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a slight boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes until lentils are tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Optional: Add some spinach or kale.
- Stir to combine well.