If you have never tried cowboy caviar before be careful, you are about to become instantly obsessed with this scrumptious blend of “fresh” and yes, we mean it is a field/garden kind of fresh “go to!” So you ask about the chickpeas, and how can they be “fresh”? Don’t worry, they are the star of our cowboy caviar and we are going to share how we do it.
As far as we know, there are only two ways to get chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans. You can purchase the processed ones in the can, or you can process the dry beans in your kitchen which is our style! The fresher, the better!
There is nothing better than freshly cooked garbanzo beans in any recipe so we have added our Chickpea Preparation instructions below so you can enjoy them the way we do. Yes, it is a little bit of easy work to prepare them, but well worth it!
Our cowboy caviar recipe is a completely unassuming summery dip that could be confused with chunky salsa or Pico de Gallo, but one small bite will change your mind and hook you for life. Not only have we served cowboy caviar dip as an appetizer, we have also sat out on the porch on warm summer nights and thoroughly enjoyed our cowboy caviar recipe for super!
The saltiness of the chips combined with the freshness of the tomatoes, the crispness of the peppers, the subtle heat of the jalapeno, the faint hint of lime and garlic…., what else can we say. . . . Oh yes, naturally vegan and gluten-free!
It’s time to prepare those delicious chickpeas, sharpen your knife and get chopping!
Chickpea Cowboy Caviar Recipe
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Total Time||10 Minutes|
Chickpea Cowboy Caviar Ingredients
- ¾ cup garbanzo beans– prepared (see below)
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 15oz. can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cup frozen sweet corn, thawed
- ½ Green pepper, diced
- ½ Red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, diced into very small pieces
- 1 ½ cup Cilantro, finely chopped (or parsley if you prefer)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
How to Make Chickpea Cowboy Caviar
- Combine tomatoes, onion, garbanzo beans, black beans, corn, red pepper, green pepper, jalapeno pepper and cilantro in a large bowl. Toss/stir well so that ingredients are well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour dressing over other ingredients and mix well.
- If you make ahead of time and refrigerate, be sure to toss/stir before serving.