Red Lentil Chili
Recipe posted by Palouse Brand on May 12, 2021
Red lentils are quickly becoming a star in our kitchen, they cook in 10-15 minutes and don't require soaking. These red lentils have a sweet, mellow flavor and will puree into a creamy blend. They are easy to cook and packed with protein, iron, fiber and B vitamins. We decided to use them for a delicious chili and because red lentils puree easily, we added some other legumes to this recipe for some texture. As far as we are concerned dried beans are king, but if you don't have any on hand you can use canned and swap out the black beans and brown lentils for what is in your pantry.
This is a mild chili so if you are looking to spice it up, swap the diced chilies for jalapenos and kick up the chili powder. Enjoy!
2 TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium red pepper, diced
1 can diced chilies
1 TBSP Chili Powder
2 TBSP garlic, diced
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup red lentils
2 cups black beans, cooked (1 can)
2 cups brown lentils, cooked
2 TBSP date syrup
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. In a large pot over medium heat, add oil, onion, pepper and garlic. Sauté until they begin to sweat, 3-4 minutes.
2. Add chilies, chili powder, tomato sauce and broth. Stir to combine, bring to a low boil over medium high heat.
3. Add red lentils, reduce heat to medium or a gentle simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add more water if the mixture looks to dry.
4. Add black beans and brown lentils, dash of salt and pepper, and date syrup, stir to combine.
5. Bring to simmer on medium heat and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stir occasionally.
6. Taste to adjust seasonings as needed.
Serve as is or with fresh jalapeño, cilantro, red onion, and/or avocado (optional). We like to serve ours with cornbread.
Cook Time: 45 minutes