Asian Lentil & Chicken Salad
Recipe posted by Palouse Brand on July 11, 2016
“Kickin it” is what we say about this Asian lentil chicken salad recipe! Wait until you taste the garlic chili paste in the dressing. Our Asian lentil salad recipe is truly phenomenal, and you just might find other recipes to pair with this paste, so it’s kind of like getting two recipes in one. You are going to love this lentil chicken salad recipe for it’s tasty ingredients and satisfying kick.
I can’t tell you how many times I have ordered Asian chicken salad when we eat in a restaurant and there is no doubt they have been good salads. But, we know just how extra special our Asian lentil chicken salad really is when made with brown lentils. They just can’t be beat for taste and quality.
Our Asian chicken salad is very fun to serve because you can keep it simple and just tear some lettuce leaves up to build the salad on, or you can get a little fancy when serving our Asian lentil chicken salad by using the individual artisan romaine leaves as the recipe suggests. Either way, you will not be disappointed in our extra flavorful Asian lentil chicken salad recipe!
Asian Chicken & Lentil Salad
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups dry brown lentils
- 2 tbsp. scallion, minced
- 2 cups seeded and julienned cucumber
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. garlic chili paste (see recipe below)
- 2 tbsp. dark sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast, julienned
- Artisan Romaine lettuce leaves
- Green onions, sliced
- Large pinch of sliced almonds
- Bring water to boil, add lentils, reduce heat to a slow boil and cook until tender, approximately 20 minutes, drain, cover and chill.
- In a separate bowl combine scallions, cucumber, garlic, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, chili paste, and sesame oil in a bowl.
- Mix well, add to chilled, cooked lentils, mix well, and add salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Use whole Artisan Romaine lettuce leaves and arrange on serving plates. Arrange the chicken over lettuce and spoon lentils over chicken.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and a large pinch of sliced almonds.
Garlic & Chili Paste Recipe
- 10-15 dried whole chilies, use a mixture of mild and hot
- 2 tbsp. oil
- Salt, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Place chilies in a bowl. Cover with boiling water and keep them submerged by putting a plate on top of them.
- Soak for about 30 minutes. Reserve some of the soaking water.
- Cut both ends of each chile, slit open and scrape seeds out. You can leave a few seeds if you want the paste to be hotter.
- Place chilies and any seeds you wish to leave in the paste in a blender with the oil and minced garlic cloves. Puree until smooth and salt to taste.
- Add a spoonful at a time of the saved soaking water until consistency yields a thick paste. It is ready to be mixed in with the remaining dressing ingredients (above).
- Use chili paste immediately or cool, cover tightly and refrigerate for up to two days.
*This recipe is inspired by Cooking New York Times.
Share this recipe